Product Development Services
Developing battery powered and low-power products is new to many engineers and companies today. Designing for low power usage
can be complicated. There are many pitfalls and design decisions are often counter-intuitive so there is no substitute for
experience in this type of design. CMicrotek can help give you confidence in your design and get it to market faster and at
lower expense through our extensive low power design experience. Our services range from providing another set of eyes for a
schematic review to helping determine why your battery doesn’t last longer. Why waste all the time and money tracking down hard
to find problems and re-spinning circuit boards when you have another option? Here's how we can give you a helping hand:
Low Power Design Schematic Review
- Schematic review to ensure low power design best practices are utilized and common design pitfalls are avoided. Power
consumption estimates can be calculated if desired.
- Schematic reviews are ideally done prior to PCB layout but may be done in later stages of development to help determine
why power consumption goals aren’t being met.
- Schematic reviews are generally the lowest cost and highest impact service if done prior to PCB layout. Costs are very
dependent on design complexity and degree of thoroughness desired by the customer.
Power Consumption Modeling
- This is a spreadsheet analysis of power consumption done at a product or circuit board level. A thorough schematic level
power consumption analysis must be done first if not provided by the customer. Use case models must also be developed with the
customer to ensure accurate modeling of the relevant power states for various product functions.
- Power consumption modeling is ideally done after a schematic review and prior to PCB layout. For firmware driven designs,
the firmware architecture must be defined and estimates of the time required for the firmware to perform various tasks must
be provided by the customer. This modeling may also be done in later stages of development to help determine why power consumption
goals aren’t being met.
- After the initial model is generated, one or two iterations are typically required as the firmware architecture or hardware
design is changed in order to meet power consumption targets.
Current & Power Consumption Measurements
- Current and/or power consumption measurements are taken for the customer using the appropriate CMicrotek product. Screenshots
of the scope display or µPower Analyzer app will be provided for each measurement.
- These measurements require stable but not necessarily final hardware and firmware.
Power Consumption Investigation
- This investigation provides assistance to customer engineers by using the appropriate CMicrotek products to determine why
their product isn’t meeting power consumption or battery life expectations.
- A thorough schematic level power consumption analysis and ideally power consumption modeling should be done prior to starting
an investigation if not already done. Sources of unexpected high power consumption can often be identified through
the analysis. Modeling can help determine whether the power consumption or battery life expectations are realistic.
- This service requires stable but not necessarily final hardware and firmware.
- CMicrotek cannot guarantee that the customer’s power consumption or battery life targets can be met, in some cases the outcome
may be determining that the best performance is being achieved for the specific hardware/firmware design.
Our services can usually be tailored to your requirements. All services will be quoted based on your needs and competitive hourly
engineering rates. Minimum charges may apply but may be decreased or waived if multiple services are performed at the same time.
Please contact us at “sales @ cmicrotek.com” (remove the spaces) for more information.
µPower AnalyzerTM and µCurrent ProbeTM are trademarks of CMicrotek, LLC|
Copyright 2017 CMicrotek, LLC